Another Comic Book Superhero Tops Box Office
Some critics were thrilled with the Green Lantern but you certainly couldn’t tell that from the weekend box office results. For it’s debut weekend the latest in the string of comic book superhero movies grabbed the number one spot with approximately $53 million dollars. Last week’s number one box office holder, Super 8, slipped to second place in the standings while the new Jim Carey movie, Mr. Popper’s Penguins premiered in the number three spot.
The Hangover Part II which is still holding on for some reason actually set a record this past weekend. It raised close to $10 million in the United States and $21.4 million internationally. That kicks its worldwide total dollar figure to almost $489 million. That’s the highest total ever for an R-rated comedy, surpassing the $467.5 million picked up by the first Hangover flick.
Top Box Office with Estimates
- Green Lantern – $52.7 million
- Super 8 – $21.3 million
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins – $18.2 million
- X-Men: First Class – $11.5 million
- The Hangover Part II – $9.6 million
- Kung Fu Panda Part 2 - $8.7 million
- Bridesmaids – $7.5 million
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - $6.2 million
- Midnight in Paris – $5.2 million
- Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer – $2.2 million
Enjoy the show!