The Hunger Games Win At Box Office
The big winner on the big screen this past weekend – The Hunger Games earning an estimated $155 million from Friday through Sunday. That’s also one for the record books as it’s the most successful debut ever for a non-sequel. The only films to pull in more cash during their opening weekend were Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 which pulled in $169.2 million when it opened last year. To further put The Hunger Games total revenue into somewhat of a perspective, the top three Oscar-winners for 2012 – The Artist, Hugo and The Iron Lady – drew a combined $145.6 million during their entire box office runs.
Meanwhile, last weeks number one box office movie – 21 Jump Street – slipped to second place.
Top 10 Weekend Box Office With Estimates
- The Hunger Games – $155 million
- 21 Jump Street – $21.3 million
- Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax – $13.1 million
- John Carter – $5 million
- Act of Valor – $2.1 million
- Project X – $2 million
- A Thousand Words – $1.9 million
- October Baby – $1.7 million
- Safe House – $1.39 million
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island – $1.37 million
Enjoy the show!